eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Before You Became An Elton Fan, What did you think of him?
BiteUrLip
Posted: August 18, 2013 11:00 am
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2784

So now we've got something new on a forum that's rarely used. wink.gif

Everyone of us have had time in life before Elton fandom, and I would like to know what you thought of him before you really started to love his music, and what music did you like before Elton's.

I have been a fan since 2002, when my father bought Elton John's Greatest Hits 1970-2002 for my mother. Before that, I didn't know the existence of most of the songs in that compilation. I knew "Crocodile Rock" and "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" for sure, and I saw The Lion King in a cinema when I was a small child. But those songs just didn't make me very interested of him, and I didn't know anything about him. I started to like both songs much more later when I heard the compilation.

Before I started to like Elton, I wasn't interested about music at all, although I sometimes listened to a few cd's at home. We had three cd's by Phil Collins, one by Chris Rea (Auberge), one by Paul Young and some others. Elton waked my interest towards music, and I continue to search for new favorite artists and songs all the time.

I also would like to tell about a small strange event in my life. When I was in primary school I was in a music class and sang in a choir. My class often went to a coir camp, around two times in a term. Once when I was there, I had a friend who had some cd's with him there, mostly by The Beatles. But when he showed me the cd's, he also said that he had an Elton cd, and watched strangely at me, like he had guessed that I might like it. It felt strange that day, and I didn't hear any songs from the cd (I didn't even see it) during the time I spent there.

--------------------
Anyone can be a hero, like you and me...

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Dr john
Posted: August 18, 2013 11:36 am
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 265

I was an Elton fan from the age of about 12...and wasn't really into music before that...never hear of him before someone asked if I like Croc rock...and I said yer, its okay...I stated to then listen out for his music on the radio and in the charts...didn't have money to buy records in our house...we were poor and didn't have a lot of cash...nothings changed really... laugh.gif

--------------------
I ENJOY A PINT OF BEER EACH NIGHT...FOR IT'S HEALTH BENEFITS...THE OTHER PINTS ARE FOR MY WITTY COMEBACKS AND FLAWLESS DANCE MOVES
PM
ejfan1973
Posted: August 18, 2013 12:08 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 2287

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (song) is what made me a fan. Before that I had only heard Crocodile Rock and maybe Daniel. I didn't really think anything, one way or another.
PMEmail Poster
Midnight Creper
Posted: August 18, 2013 09:25 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1624

Before I got into Elton's music in early 1973, I listened to The Beatles, T.Rex, Slade, Jackson 5, Motown and a lot of chart music from 71/72.

In 1973 as well as Elton I also got into Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Genesis, David Bowie, Black Sabbath.

--------------------
user posted image

Rainbow Theatre 7th May 1977
Empire Pool 3rd November1977
Theatre Royal Drury Lane 5th April 1979
Hammersmith Odeon 10th December 1982
Hammersmith Odeon 24th December 1982
Birmingham NEC 24th June 1984
Wembley Stadium 30th June 1984
Brighton Centre 7th December1985
Wembley Arena 18th December1985
Wembley Arena 21st May1989
Wembley Arena 30th May1989
Knebworth 30th June 1990
Wembley Stadium 28th june1992
Earl’s Court 13th May1993
Wembley Arena 20th December 1997
Wembley Stadium 7th June 1998
Wembley Arena 12th December 2002
Wembley Arena 5th December 2003
Wembley Arena 3rd July 2003
Hammersmith Apollo 18th December 2004
Watford FC 18th June 2005
Sussex County Cricket Ground, Hove 25th June 2006
PMEmail Poster
Latitude
Posted: August 19, 2013 12:57 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 1633

I believe I've told my story a few times, but I'll tell it again. tongue.gif

I didn't know hardly anything whatsoever about Elton John until I discovered him while working and listening to the radio in '91. The songs 'Sacrifice' and 'Candle...'87' especially. First albums were GBYBR & 'Greatest Hits 1'. And that was it for me. Fan forever. biggrin.gif

Before discovering that music I hadn't been into music at all for a long time. Way back, though, I was heavily into instrumental albums---Floyd Cramer, Boots Randolph, Chet Atkins, Al Hirt, Pete Fountain, Tijuana Brass, etc.

--------------------
FIVE DECADES OF ELTON JOHN MUSIC AND MY TOP PICKS FROM EACH OF THE DECADES!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Favorite lyric lines:' Release, relax, let go, and hey now let's recover your soul'. From 'The Big Picture' album
Plus 'But latitude captures the heart and the mind' From 'Made In England'
PMEmail Poster
BenandtheJets
Posted: August 19, 2013 02:55 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 20

I knew a few songs from Elton, listening to top 40 radio stations, but it's when my brother bought GYBR (album) in 1973, that I got hooked! cool.gif

--------------------

Teacher I Need You!
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: August 20, 2013 06:28 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 26

Before I became an EJ fan...

I was young!

I always liked "Daniel" and then "Bennie and the Jets" but it wasn't until 1975 that I actually bought music - a single (45 rpm) of "Philadelphia Freedom" with the funky EJ and Band picture-sleeve. Then "Pinball Wizard" got massive radio airplay (here in Canada) right after that and I was sold.

Before this, it wasn't anything "about" a singer that mattered to me - just the music and if a singer had multiple songs that enjoyed then I "liked" the singer.

Elton's melodic sense and keyboards and voice were what attracted me to his music.

Back in the early to mid 70s it was usually just the music itself that mattered - no Internet and social media. In fact, basically no (very few) videos either. It was the airplay and the "record" itself (plus concerts) that helped create an impression of a musician.

Elton got lots of airplay. His records were superbly packaged. Great covers, photos, lyric sheets, etc. He also seemed a bit like the "clean-cut" guy on the block until the end of 1975 or 76. He had short hair, seemed quite respectable, was seen as a musician who more or less stayed away from drugs and excessive drinking at this time. I never saw him live until 1979 but his concerts were stated to be high energy and totally entertaining.

Forming an opinion, though, mostly came down to the quality of the stream of music.

Doug

PMEmail Poster
ejfan1973
Posted: August 24, 2013 01:19 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 2287

Before I liked Elton, I liked Jim Croce, Melanie and Don McLean.
PMEmail Poster
commodore orpington
Posted: October 31, 2013 06:35 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 1484

I starting listening to the radio from Xmas '72 when I was given a transistor radio. I first heard Crocodile Rock, and was unsure who or what he was... I thought it might be a band with a female singer, from that record.

When I heard the song GYBR I was drawn in. A friend sending me tape letters played Ticking and Bennie on the tape and talked about his EJ obsession. Later I went on a high school French club trip to Quebec, and in the hotel room in Toronto, I listened to the whole album of Honky Chateau on tape that someone had brought along. I'd never heard anything with kind of thick, fascinating atmosphere before, and that was that.

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
RegD432
Posted: December 19, 2015 10:50 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1720

Before I was a fan, I didn't even exist. I was born this way! laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

"The great thing about rock and roll is that someone like me can be a star." -Elton John
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll