eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question For You French Speakers.
Dr john
Posted: May 14, 2017 05:51 pm
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Members
Member No.: 265

So I was just watching a tv show...and someone started speaking French...now my question is, not what was said..more the.."er"...as in he was talking in French and every now and then he would say "err"..now is this a thinking thingy or do French speaking people also do this?..

--------------------
I ENJOY A PINT OF BEER EACH NIGHT...FOR IT'S HEALTH BENEFITS...THE OTHER PINTS ARE FOR MY WITTY COMEBACKS AND FLAWLESS DANCE MOVES
PM
BenandtheJets
Posted: May 14, 2017 08:57 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 20

😄 It's probably an hesitation in that person speech. I notice the same thing when I listen to a hockey player being interviewed ( in English). I don't know how many times they say "you know ". But no, it's not a common thing.

--------------------

Teacher I Need You!
PMEmail Poster
newloneranger
Posted: May 15, 2017 05:29 am
Quote Post

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1947

err? laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

You're holding back, you're hard to read
You're the 21st century kind
You're lighting fast, built for speed
A tight lipped modern mind

An architect of grand romance
You're a mystery of disguise
You're holed up in your house of wax
Just waiting for the fire

You're buttoned-down, all sewn up
You're an archeological soul
Cold hard truth only proves
What we already know
PMEmail Poster
BiteUrLip
Posted: May 15, 2017 07:44 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 2784

Ask Bernie. smile.gif

--------------------
Anyone can be a hero, like you and me...

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
freaksinlove
Posted: May 16, 2017 10:56 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (BiteUrLip @ May 15, 2017 07:44 am)
Ask Bernie. smile.gif

Why Bernie? He isn't a French speaker.

--------------------
user posted image

Even if I had only one finger left I'd play for you - Elton John
PMEmail Poster
Rocket Man
Posted: May 17, 2017 02:44 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 399

I think it can mark a "thinking moment"... We write it "euh" and it can come translated in English as "eeh", "um"/"hm", "er", "well"... or not translated at all following the context.

ex:
"What do you think of this? Hmm... I don't know."
"Que penses-tu de ça? Euh... Je ne sais pas."

"Did you remember to buy bread on your way back? Er... Sorry, I forgot!"
"T'es-tu rappelé d'acheter du pain en rentrant? Euh... Désolé, j'ai oublié!"

"Have you been to Hyde Park today? Well, actually I wasn't in Center London today."
"As-tu été à Hyde Park aujourd'hui? Euh, en fait je n'ai pas été au centre de Londres aujourd'hui."

It's mostly an hesitation or time to mull over, I suppose...

"Why Bernie? He isn't a French speaker."

"Taupin was born at Flatters Farmhouse, which is located between the village of Anwick and the town of Sleaford in the southern part of Lincolnshire, England. Of French ancestry, Taupin's father was educated in Dijon, and was employed as a stockman by a large farm estate near the town of Market Rasen. Taupin's mother worked as a nanny, having previously lived in Switzerland."

He's of french ancestry, but that doesn't mean himself can speak fluent french?? Maybe yes? Maybe no?
I don't specifically remember having ever seen an interview of him in french...

--------------------
Vivrem come cavalli Liberi dai recinti di ferro Che piu non voglio Rinnegare i sensi Su dai fuggiam Vivrem come cavalli
Someday We'll live like horses Free reign from your old iron fences There's more ways than one to regain your senses Break out the stalls and we'll live like horses
PMEmail Poster
Dr john
Posted: May 17, 2017 11:13 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (Rocket Man @ May 17, 2017 03:44 am)
I think it can mark a "thinking moment"... We write it "euh" and it can come translated in English as "eeh", "um"/"hm", "er", "well"... or not translated at all following the context.

ex:
"What do you think of this? Hmm... I don't know."
"Que penses-tu de ça? Euh... Je ne sais pas."

"Did you remember to buy bread on your way back? Er... Sorry, I forgot!"
"T'es-tu rappelé d'acheter du pain en rentrant? Euh... Désolé, j'ai oublié!"

"Have you been to Hyde Park today? Well, actually I wasn't in Center London today."
"As-tu été à Hyde Park aujourd'hui? Euh, en fait je n'ai pas été au centre de Londres aujourd'hui."

It's mostly an hesitation or time to mull over, I suppose...

"Why Bernie? He isn't a French speaker."

"Taupin was born at Flatters Farmhouse, which is located between the village of Anwick and the town of Sleaford in the southern part of Lincolnshire, England. Of French ancestry, Taupin's father was educated in Dijon, and was employed as a stockman by a large farm estate near the town of Market Rasen. Taupin's mother worked as a nanny, having previously lived in Switzerland."

He's of french ancestry, but that doesn't mean himself can speak fluent french?? Maybe yes? Maybe no?
I don't specifically remember having ever seen an interview of him in french...

That's all very well, but you've got some of it wrong..I'll put it right for you..

Okay, first ones okay..

"Did you remember to buy bread on your way back?" ..what are you on about...I've only been to the loo..

"Have you been to Hyde park today?"...what the f*** are you on about, we live in the middle of Scotland..

Thanks for the replys...I thought it was thinking time...or thinking of the word..that sort of thing..

--------------------
I ENJOY A PINT OF BEER EACH NIGHT...FOR IT'S HEALTH BENEFITS...THE OTHER PINTS ARE FOR MY WITTY COMEBACKS AND FLAWLESS DANCE MOVES
PM
nix
Posted: May 17, 2017 11:47 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 46

i know i french only "merci" and "vule vu kuše avekmua".
PMEmail Poster
Rocket Man
Posted: May 18, 2017 11:47 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Dr john @ May 17, 2017 11:13 am)
That's all very well, but you've got some of it wrong..I'll put it right for you..

Okay, first ones okay..

"Did you remember to buy bread on your way back?" ..what are you on about...I've only been to the loo..

"Have you been to Hyde park today?"...what the f*** are you on about, we live in the middle of Scotland..

Thanks for the replys...I thought it was thinking time...or thinking of the word..that sort of thing..

laugh.gif

Ah that's why the baker was angry to find piss in his kneading machine! biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif

In the middle of Scotland? ... More like Kelvingrove Park then... smile.gif

QUOTE (nix @ May 17, 2017 11:47 am)

"Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?" I guess a certain swedish band made those french words famous all around the world! lol But to answer your question: no... I don't want to! ... No offense though. I'm sure you're great and sexy and all... Just not my type! laugh.gif wink.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vivrem come cavalli Liberi dai recinti di ferro Che piu non voglio Rinnegare i sensi Su dai fuggiam Vivrem come cavalli
Someday We'll live like horses Free reign from your old iron fences There's more ways than one to regain your senses Break out the stalls and we'll live like horses
PMEmail Poster
Rocket Man
Posted: May 18, 2017 11:58 pm
Quote Post

Let me see how it comes up on Google Translate in Croatian: Želiš li spavati sa mnom? cool.gif biggrin.gif And if ABBA had sang in their mothertongue: "Vill du ligga med mig?"
Anyway... The point is, even though it's a phrase everyone in the world seems to know, let's be careful to check the meaning of famous phrases in foreign languages! lol rolleyes.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
This_Train
Posted: May 19, 2017 05:08 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 28

It wasn't ABBA who immortalised those words.

The phrase is best known from the 1974 song "Lady Marmalade," first popularized by the group Labelle and lead singer Patti LaBelle. In 2001, Christina Aguilera, Mýa, Pink, and rapper Lil' Kim did a remake of the song for the Moulin Rouge! soundtrack.

In 1979 ABBA released an album called "Voulez-Vous," with a title track of the same name - but no reference to hopping into bed.
PM
Dr john
Posted: May 19, 2017 09:53 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (nix @ May 17, 2017 12:47 pm)

You probably know more than that..it's just that you don't know it..when I started to mess about at work with another French speaker..(not that I speak French, bit of school boy French as they say) I knew more than I thought.."good morning, how are you my friend, I'm very excited, good bye" and other bits and bobs..I don't work there anymore..so it's all gone again...don't you know the French kids rhyme "Frere Jacques" (brother John)

--------------------
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll