eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sleeping With The Past Review!, Happy 28th Anniversary
EltonJohnaholic
  Posted: August 30, 2017 05:15 am
Quote Post

Silver Member (Shooting Star)

Group: Members
Member No.: 2909

Yup, as I promised, I have created my next review on Sleeping With The Past! Any time I get to talk about this album, I am in a state of utter bliss biggrin.gif I tried to speak more musically about the album, and be a little more thorough, so it is longer than my other one. But this one is more entertaining, I hope, so please enjoy the best you can! I think I've covered pretty much everything in my review, but if you guys want to discuss something about it, please go ahead, I'd love to! wub.gif
And in case some one here doesn't know/remember, August 29th (today) is the 28th anniversary since Sleeping With The Past was recorded back in 1989! Last year I made a written review about this album, but I thought I'd go for it again and I rank the songs even higher than I did before, thanks to my extra added knowledge about the album since then and having been listening to it more. Unfortunately I just clunked my head while playing with my dogs so I hope I have still retained all this information I learned to have a good discussion about the album (which by the way my dog makes a quick cameo at the end of this video (or more like, the whole video, lol) so if you are a dog lover you should enjoy this even more!) Thanks in advance if you're gonna watch cool.gif

The review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eXa8Zjoc9k

Also, I have included some of my own photographs of the album and my Sleeping With The Past shrine to go along with it. As you can see, I am an avid collector of anything in his 1989 era LOL I really would marry this album if I could. Can you marry objects? I am convinced this will happen in my lifetime and then I will do it becuase unlike people, this album can never let me down!! (Purely kidding). Well to a slight degree rolleyes.gif
I apologize the photographs are ginormous. I'm too lazy to resize them down. tongue.gif

user posted image
user posted image

One thing I'd like to ask though, is why my album says it was recorded in England when it was totally recorded in Denmark at Puk Studios? Hmm?

user posted image

--------------------
user posted image

"It's far too windy here, can you do something about it?"
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
AGR82
Posted: August 30, 2017 10:49 pm
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Member No.: 2694

My SWTP Collection

Only included audio material, i´ve got a few clippings/posters of that era but enough for now... cool.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
EltonJohnaholic
Posted: August 31, 2017 02:08 am
Quote Post

THAT WAS PROBABLY THE BEST COLLECTION SOMEONE HAS EVER SHOWED ME AND NOW I AM GOING TO HEAD TO THE BATHROOM BEFORE I PEE MYSELF tongue.gif
Lol! That is such a great collection!! You still have a sealed copy of the CD. I see they're different? Is one the original and the other a remastered/part of a CD set collection? Where did you find all that stuff? I haven't even found the album on cassette yet, lol. Also that big "The World" thing on the front left, is that like a tour book? I haven't seen anything like that before. Still kinda new in the collecting world, lol.

I would adore seeing your clippings/posters too! But I might crawl through the computer screen and take them from you haha biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

AGR82
Posted: August 31, 2017 06:10 am
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Member No.: 2694

There are some important gaps on that collection that I should be fill...Some day...
And no CDs are not sealed, they´re inside a plastic bag. 80% of everything in that photo come from Ebay.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
EltonJohnaholic
Posted: August 31, 2017 08:33 pm
Quote Post

It looked sealed, I mean the bag is really tightly enclosed to the CD lol, hard to tell from just a photo.

--------------------
user posted image

BiteUrLip
Posted: September 19, 2017 10:21 am
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2784

Another interesting video! Forgot to watch this earlier but - nice job!

I was surprised you didn't give the songs more points as it's your fave album anyway.

My scores:

Durban Deep 8/10
Healing Hands 10/10
Whispers 7.5/10
Club At The End Of The Street 9.5/10
Sleeping With The Past 8/10
Stone's Throw From Hurtin' 5.5/10
Sacrifice 10/10
I Never Knew Her Name 8.5/10
Amazes Me 8/10
Blue Avenue 9.5/10

The title track, well I can say that it has a great mood but there's nothing that really hits me big in it.

--------------------
Reach the sea of dreams!
PMEmail PosterMSN
commodore orpington
Posted: September 19, 2017 06:50 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1484

The title song took years to grow on me. It seems so simple, without those quirks or twists and turns an EJ song usually tales. Eventually the production got me. It was an indefinable (except maybe to the producer) feel that winks at you sand says "classic".

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
Dr john
Posted: September 22, 2017 01:21 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 265

Just sat a watched the video for this...and then went off and pulled out the album again and played that..best songs on the album for me..."healing hands" and "I never knew her name"...also just watched the one for GBYBR...can't say I agree with everything that was said about it...maybe I should make my own video on it...ok, maybe not..

Don't know if it was this video?..I think it was, where your on about how crap the cover for 2L40 is...when it first came out, it had the 2L40 cut out...so it showed the pattern that was on the inner sleeve..doesn't work on CD...and some of the later albums that was done away with...

--------------------
I ENJOY A PINT OF BEER EACH NIGHT...FOR IT'S HEALTH BENEFITS...THE OTHER PINTS ARE FOR MY WITTY COMEBACKS AND FLAWLESS DANCE MOVES
PM
commodore orpington
Posted: September 22, 2017 11:16 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1484

Elton's favorite "color" is white, so it works for him... I have a 2L40 with the bit cut out, but there's no actual significance to the splashes of color on the inner sleeve showing through, so it doesn't help that much for me. I guess the symbols are supposed to make you think of buttons to push for an elevator.

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
EltonJohnaholic
  Posted: September 23, 2017 07:46 am
Quote Post

His favorite color is white? I've heard black before and every other color under the sun so I just assume he likes rainbows! Lol... not for other reasons hehe.
Also thanks to all who watched my review, as I said before I am not making any more reviews but I do have some other videos and things to come in the future when I'm not so busy.
The title track, I understand how there may be nothing special to it and stuff, I just for some reason gravitate to it and this entire album in general, for more reasons than I can explain and more reasons I don't even know myself. I don't even know why I love this album THIS much but honestly I'm just glad I fell in love with this album and not Victim of Love. Heh.

--------------------
user posted image

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll