eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Captain And The Kid, Then And Now
BobbyFord
Posted: October 06, 2012 01:03 pm
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Members
Member No.: 2297

QUOTE (nix @ October 06, 2012 08:43 am)
I think that Elton is under too big influence from other people. I really don't want Elton to start to write some boring blues tunes with predictable chords and tones. And he is dangerously close to that.
The album that some fans don't like based on some unimportant things that is extremely melodically creative is The Big Picture.

Thought of hearing some generic songs like 'They call her the cat', 'Noah's Ark', 'Monkey Suit', 'Never too old', '800$ shoes' makes me somehow scared. If I want f***ing blues I would listen to billions of other blues musicians and not Elton.

I definitely wouldn't put 'Monkey Suit' in the same bracket as 'Noahs Ark' and 'They Call Her the Cat'. 'Monkey Suit' is up-tempo like those two but so much more inspired. Those dirty blues chords and riffs played in the two brilliant instrumental breaks are just awesome, and far more authentic sounding than 'Noahs Ark' which Bernie had envisaged as a 'Ray Charles' homage. 'Monkey Suit' was far more Ray Charles than 'Cat' or 'Ark'. Love that song and it sounded superb live.

--------------------
user posted image

09/12/04 - Hallam Arena, Sheffield (Elton & The Band)
18/12/04 - The Apollo, Hammersmith (Elton & The Band)
03/06/05 - Galpharm Stadium, Huddersfield (Elton & The Band)
27/06/06 - Capital FM Arena, Nottingham (Elton & The Band)
24/05/07 - Motorpoint Arena, Sheffield (Elton & The Band)
03/06/07 - Brunton Park, Carlisle (Elton & The Band)
13/07/08 - Mercedez-Benz World, Weybridge (Elton & The Band)
31/12/08 - O2 Arena (The Red Piano)
22/09/09 - Royal Albert Hall, London (with Ray Cooper)
28/10/10 - The Roundhouse, London (with Leon Russell and T-Bone's Band)
25/11/10 - The Union Chapel, London (Solo)
01/12/10 - Vorst Nationaal, Brussels (with Ray Cooper)
26/06/11 - Sussex County Cricket Ground, Hove (Elton & The Band)
02/09/13 - London Palladium, BRITs Icon Award (Elton & The Band)
04/09/13 - Leeds Arena (Elton & The Band)
12/09/13 - The Roundhouse, London (Elton & The Band)
PMEmail Poster
nix
Posted: October 06, 2012 01:10 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 46

I can agree that 'Monkey Suit' is the best in the bunch of songs I mentioned, but I wouldn't find it creative like 'I'm Still Standing' or 'Whitewash County' or 'Birds'.
'Hey Ahab' is probably the most creative uptempo song since 'Birds', but that still doesn't say much. I like more complex songs.
PMEmail Poster
nix
Posted: October 06, 2012 01:11 pm
Quote Post

Oh, and how could I forget 'And the House Fell Down'... that's brilliant song.
PMEmail Poster
BobbyFord
Posted: October 06, 2012 02:00 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 2297

QUOTE (nix @ October 06, 2012 01:10 pm)
I can agree that 'Monkey Suit' is the best in the bunch of songs I mentioned, but I wouldn't find it creative like 'I'm Still Standing' or 'Whitewash County' or 'Birds'.
'Hey Ahab' is probably the most creative uptempo song since 'Birds', but that still doesn't say much. I like more complex songs.

Yeah I agree 'Still Standing', 'Whitewash County', 'Birds' and 'House Fell Down' are all excellent songs. But 'Money Suit' and 'Ahab' are also great in their own right. I agree that 'Ahab' is the most unique sounding thing he's done a while. It's really aggressive, the introduction is incredible (one of my favourites of ANY song he's ever written) and the lyrics are really evocative. Would be great to hear something truly inspired on TBD - a 'Ticking' kind of moment.

--------------------
user posted image

09/12/04 - Hallam Arena, Sheffield (Elton & The Band)
18/12/04 - The Apollo, Hammersmith (Elton & The Band)
03/06/05 - Galpharm Stadium, Huddersfield (Elton & The Band)
27/06/06 - Capital FM Arena, Nottingham (Elton & The Band)
24/05/07 - Motorpoint Arena, Sheffield (Elton & The Band)
03/06/07 - Brunton Park, Carlisle (Elton & The Band)
13/07/08 - Mercedez-Benz World, Weybridge (Elton & The Band)
31/12/08 - O2 Arena (The Red Piano)
22/09/09 - Royal Albert Hall, London (with Ray Cooper)
28/10/10 - The Roundhouse, London (with Leon Russell and T-Bone's Band)
25/11/10 - The Union Chapel, London (Solo)
01/12/10 - Vorst Nationaal, Brussels (with Ray Cooper)
26/06/11 - Sussex County Cricket Ground, Hove (Elton & The Band)
02/09/13 - London Palladium, BRITs Icon Award (Elton & The Band)
04/09/13 - Leeds Arena (Elton & The Band)
12/09/13 - The Roundhouse, London (Elton & The Band)
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: October 07, 2012 08:32 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 26

CAPTAIN AND THE KID:

I remember the anticipation of this album, especially since CAPTAIN FANTASTIC AND THE BROWN DIRT COWBOY was my favourite album...

I was never blown away with it, however. It lacked a consistency that many of you have already mentioned. Agreed, "And the House Fell Down" is superb - really. It is a shame that to the general public this song never saw the light of day. Serious EJ fans know it and like it but the most people...they never heard of it.

"Blues Never Fade Away" and the title track are two other standouts. After that, there weren't too many tracks, other than "Tinderbox" which stood out musically. I do think that Bernie did write a bunch of interesting lyrics and deserves credit.

The band and the production did match the performances of the 1975 original. Overall, I found THE CAPTAIN AND THE KID a bit disappointing at the time. Not a bad record- an average to good one.

Looking forward to THE DIVING BOARD which its basic trio arrangement.

Doug
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: October 07, 2012 08:34 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 26

correction to above...

"the band and production did NOT match the performances of the 1975 original."

Sorry bout dat.

DOug
PMEmail Poster
rocketman
Posted: October 08, 2012 03:59 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 108

I'm glad you made that correction Doug - I was starting to think 'what?'. biggrin.gif

I will add that I love the video for Tinderbox, and of course, that includes the song itself. It is my favorite Elton John video and it's great having that 1970s footage as a backdrop to the song, which, to me, is the best of Elton's attempts to re-create the mood and sound of his 70s recordings.

--------------------
"I could be great like Tennessee Williams if I could only hear something that sounds like the truth."

PMEmail PosterYahoo
nix
Posted: October 08, 2012 04:34 pm
Quote Post

I like TCATK more than CFATBDC which is very good, but still way overrated album.
PMEmail Poster
commodore orpington
Posted: October 08, 2012 08:20 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1484

QUOTE (nix @ October 08, 2012 04:34 pm)
I like TCATK more than CFATBDC which is very good, but still way overrated album.

I'll almost agree with that. C&K is listenable all the way through for me, but no one song shines for me. With CF, I think there a few greats far better than anything on C&K, plus songs I'm neutral on or actively dislike. If for whatever reason I was compelled to listen to albums all the way through, I think I'd go for C&K every time.

Really though, I'd rather listen to many, many other EJ albums than either of these, and just pull them out every few months or years when I've listened to the rest too much and need a change.

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
nesboy43
Posted: October 16, 2012 04:58 am
Quote Post

Silver Member (Shooting Star)

Member No.: 2859

I really dont like this album at all, hearing alot of hype about it might have done it for me but I found Peachtree Road miles better than this.
PMEmail Poster
RocketLight
  Posted: October 25, 2012 10:49 pm
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Member No.: 920

And The House Fell Down one of the best songs of this album, never played at live and never launched a single ...!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll