eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Elton John Vinyl Club 2017, New vinyl releases
agrasso
Posted: September 05, 2017 12:11 pm
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Group: Members
Member No.: 2299

QUOTE (agrasso @ August 21, 2017 06:27 pm)
The Big Picture on double LP is available for pre-order on Amazon UK and will be released next Friday:
http://amzn.to/2xlAjio

I received it, there is no new graphic element (all the lyrics and graphics are identical to the CD), but one thing to note is that they finally amended the lyrics for Recover Your Soul (in the 1997 CD the second verse was missing and the first verse was repeated instead)...

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
I believe in love...
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: September 22, 2017 05:07 pm
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Member No.: 26

September 22:

BLUE MOVES and EMPTY SKY released today on new 180 gram vinyl.

eltonjohn.com has a mini-feature with interesting facts and photos worth checking out:

https://www.eltonjohn.com/stories/empty-sky...ack-again-on-lp

Interesting to hear Elton's comments about the song "Empty Sky" and Gus Dudgeon's comments about the recording of "Tonight."

Doug

PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: September 28, 2017 01:49 am
Quote Post

THE BIG PICTURE:

I received the new 180 gram vinyl album today. It is the first time THE BIG PICTURE has been pressed on vinyl and I must say that I continue to be pleased with the pressing quality and packaging of these new 180 gram vinyl releases this year.

The album is a double gatefold (opens like a double album) and the insert includes all the images and lyrics precisely as packaged in the original 1997 CD release. Completely faithful packaging. The label is the same image as used on the CD pressings.

The sound is also very clear and precise and faithful to the original sound. The vinyl is very quiet. If there is any difference in the overall sound it might be that Bob Birch's bass may be a bit more noticeable especially in "Wicked Dreams" and one or two other tracks.

Listening to the album brings back a couple of real positives:

* Elton does several piano solos on this record such as on "Wicked Dreams" and "Long Way From Happiness" and "The River Can Bend" and others that are a joy to listen to.

* Elton still has a very good vocal range on this record; a pleasure hearing those higher notes on "Recover Your Soul" and others.

The album isn't considered an Elton classic but the melodies, piano parts, and vocals seem to combine into a nice experience. I am biased; I have always, for various reasons, really liked this album. The new 180 gram pressing won't disappoint you if you like this album or are willing to give it another try...

Doug
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: October 09, 2017 05:08 am
Quote Post

EMPTY SKY:

Just finished playing the new 180 gram vinyl pressing for EMPTY SKY.

Packaging; faithful to the original (1969) UK Mr. James pressing with the original cover inside and out. It is a double gatefold complete with lyrics and EJ & BT photo and back cover information.

Sound; clear and quiet and faithful to the originals with the possibility of slightly more noticeable bass (Tony Murray). Elton's vocals seem very clear and the subtle production ideas from Steve Brown are in tact and noticeable.

There has always been something special about this album. The rawness and energy is evident; it is, after all, the first album of two budding young artists.

Lyrically, it would probably give Bernie fits today to listen to it again. But, it was the late 60s and "collecting submarine numbers on the main street of the sea" just didn't seem unreasonable in 1969! Some songs have more than stood the test of time; the title track "Empty Sky" and "Skyline Pigeon" remain as fan favourites. Listening to the cohesive funkiness of "Sails" where EJ's keyboards and Caleb Quaye's guitar shine is a real pleasure. Even "Gulliver" sounds good.

In fact, throughout the record I really enjoyed hearing how well Elton & Caleb played with each other. There is a musical richness here with Elton's numerous keyboards (piano, organ, harpsichord, and electric piano), flute, harmonica, saxophone, and congas combined with the traditional compliment of drums, bass, and Caleb's various guitars.

Interesting facts; Roger Pope plays the majority of the drums but Nigel also appears for the first time on "Lady, What's Tomorrow" which is a song about global or urban change to a more concrete world. Quite topical for the times. Long-time sound man Clive Franks is the tape operator and adds whimsical whistling.

A surprisingly good album for a bunch of amateurs, really. Listening to the title track on this excellent 180 gram vinyl pressing was worth the price of the disc!

Doug
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: October 09, 2017 05:27 am
Quote Post

EltonJohnalholic / Brianna:

Well, your all time favourite album is about to be released on that high quality heavy 180 gram vinyl.

Yes, SLEEPING WITH THE PAST complete with its original packaging is coming out October 20! Start saving those dimes, nickels, and quarters! Since I live in Canada, I'll be saving my "loonies" and "toonies!"

Doug
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll