eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hearing Ej Songs In Odd Places....
commodore orpington
Posted: July 02, 2013 04:27 pm
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Members
Member No.: 1484

A few days ago, in the grocery store, amongst all the more current R&B-ish kinds of songs, what should pop up on whatever station or service this was, but "Goodbye". Recognized it immediately, enjoyed, thought it was an auditory hallucination.....

A few years ago, I was walking late at night in the snow and fairly deep cold, and from a block or two away, someone was blasting "Burn Down The Mission" maybe, "Amoreena" and SNAFF. At least 2 out of those 3. This is a predominantly Black town, with bass-thumping rap being the most popular thing. I thought this was encouraging... especially since they must have had a door or window open in the cold to be heard like that, so... REALLY proud of his/her/their musical tastes!

Years ago when I could still get out to an occasional science fiction convention, I was walking down a corridor, and heard "Teardrops" with KD Lang blasting from someone's room. Had urge to yell out in solidarity, since I love that one, but summoned the smarts not to do that...

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
RegD432
Posted: June 02, 2017 11:00 pm
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1720

I think I've shared this story here before, but the oddest place I've ever heard an Elton song was in a little trinket shop in Baghdad, Iraq.

I was there on a military deployment, and at times we were able to just go out and see the city. I walked into a shop, and at that moment some pop hit was playing. I was browsing, and suddenly "Nobody Slept with Joan of Arc" started to play. I even tried to ask about the song with the shop owner, but he didn't speak English.. however he did pretend to make a pair of glasses with his hands and place them on his face and said "Elton John!"

To this day I have NO IDEA why a B-Side Elton John song would ever be playing in the middle of a Baghdad shop, much less one that deals with Christianity, but ALAS, it happened. I was there!

--------------------
user posted image

"The great thing about rock and roll is that someone like me can be a star." -Elton John
PMEmail Poster
BiteUrLip
Posted: June 03, 2017 06:58 am
Quote Post

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2784

EJ in Iraq? wink.gif OMG! Maybe it was better that you world polices attacked them after all if they now play Elton LOL! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Anyone can be a hero, like you and me...

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll