eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Grow Some Funk Of Your Own... Weirdness
EltonJohnaholic
  Posted: June 20, 2017 02:09 am
Quote Post

Newbie (Too Young)

Group: Members
Member No.: 2909

I can't believe nobody's posted here before! Well allow me to be the first, lol.
So Grow Some Funk Of Your Own has been a song that I've been messing up for a long while until I got the record and found out the lyrics one day. There are some weird things about this song.
First, I don't know of any of you guys thought this too, but when I first heard the song I initially thought he was saying, "Grow some funk of your own... meatloaf... grow some funk of your own"... LOL I know it didn't make sense but I ALWAYS sang meatloaf. When I figured out it was 'amigo', I was pretty confused. I guess the makes the "a" in amigo silent and says, "Grow some funk of your own, 'migo".
I thought it was pretty awkward when I realized I had been falsely singing about food this whole time haha

Something I am very curious about though, is the outro to this song, where it gradually fades. It sounds like he's saying the f-word! ( So in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfNWuG3l4Eo ) At the 4:21 mark it sounds like he's going, "Ooooohh, f**k!" Really loud. Then at 4:24 it sounds like he proceeds to say, "I'll f**k it up on my own!" Lol... And again at 4:28. Oh and at the 3:43 mark I can't make out anything he's saying except it sounds like he says, "motherf**cker"...
I notice how Elton's voice faded first before the music and the music covered his vocals, which makes it more reasonable that perhaps that was done to hide his swearing, if he was indeed doing it. Does anybody else think it sounds like he's using the f-word too? Lol

--------------------
user posted image

"It's far too windy here, can you do something about it?"
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BiteUrLip
Posted: June 20, 2017 03:10 am
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2784

Nix is an expert considering this song. Maybe he can enlighten you! wink.gif

--------------------
Anyone can be a hero, like you and me...

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
DougS
Posted: June 20, 2017 03:47 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 26

Brianna / EltonJohnaholic:

During the outro of "Grow Some Funk of Your Own" EJ is singing "funk it up." During the 1976 "Louder Than Concorde" tour you can hear this much more clearly in the extended outro..."I funk it up!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAQdvdYnmo

He may slip another f-word in there on occasion but it is hard to be sure. Listening to Paul McCartney's "With A Little Luck" has the same uncertainty! Is he always singing "luck?"

Those Madison Square Garden shows in 1976 must have been unreal to see.

Doug
PMEmail Poster
EltonJohnaholic
  Posted: June 20, 2017 06:20 pm
Quote Post

Newbie (Too Young)

... I was silently hoping and crossing my fingers that he was swearing, LOL. I did listen to some live versions and it does sound like he is saying "funk" half the time, but the other half of the time it sounds like "f**k", so I'm thinking maybe he did let it slip... I'm chuckling now lol biggrin.gif
But it makes me curious to know about other concerts that were never recorded during this time period, if maybe he said it and it was never captured on film/audio. I guess we'll never know. But the outro to this has always gotten me nervous, becuase I played it in the car with my mom once and she was like, "Is he swearing?" And I was like, "Oh my goodness, I have no idea..." Lol

--------------------
user posted image

Latitude
Posted: June 20, 2017 08:18 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1633

The 'f' word HAS come out in concerts. Back when he did the solo/Ray Cooper shows in '79 he'd sing 'I'm a 'f'ing' Rocket Man', and it was very clear. I have several of those shows.

--------------------
FIVE DECADES OF ELTON JOHN MUSIC AND MY TOP PICKS FROM EACH OF THE DECADES!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Favorite lyric lines:' Release, relax, let go, and hey now let's recover your soul'. From 'The Big Picture' album
Plus 'But latitude captures the heart and the mind' From 'Made In England'
PMEmail Poster
EltonJohnaholic
Posted: June 20, 2017 08:24 pm
Quote Post

Newbie (Too Young)

Oh my goodness, I've gotta hear that!!! I didn't even know about that. I wonder why he did it... that's funny though biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

AGR82
Posted: June 29, 2017 09:48 pm
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Member No.: 2694

Just for info...
If you have the 45 UK single, you have a slightly different version of Grown Some Funk Of Your Own.

The US 45 single´s the same album version.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
EltonJohnaholic
  Posted: July 06, 2017 06:42 am
Quote Post

Newbie (Too Young)

I don't have the single of this song at all. I only have the album Rock of The Westies. Good to know though; what's different about the UK single?

--------------------
user posted image

Dr john
Posted: July 10, 2017 01:29 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 265

Ohhh...you see we are back to the old problem...you Americans not speaking proper English...none of the words he is saying on this record are f**k....funk, yes...f**k, no...if he was saying f**k they would be a more ...what's the word I'm looking for..hang on, I'll just look down the back of the sofa...oh, look at that...anyway if he was singing f**k you would hear it as us brits do ..you hear the "ck" Sound....and funk..is a more " unk "sound...trust me I'm a doctor.. laugh.gif

--------------------
I ENJOY A PINT OF BEER EACH NIGHT...FOR IT'S HEALTH BENEFITS...THE OTHER PINTS ARE FOR MY WITTY COMEBACKS AND FLAWLESS DANCE MOVES
PM
DougS
Posted: July 14, 2017 09:43 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 26

EltonJohnaholic / Brianna:

Listen to this version of "Grow Some Funk of Your Own" to better hear the words...and Elton's piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYuWD7qMOs

You'll love this!

Doug
PMEmail Poster
EltonJohnaholic
  Posted: July 16, 2017 08:03 pm
Quote Post

Newbie (Too Young)

Wow if a piano could sound sexy, Elton just did it tongue.gif I got an eargasm LOL! That isolated piano/vocal track rocks. Especially the chorus... he OWNS all those keys; keeps right on beat the whole time perfectly like a robot. And his raw, rock and roll vocals... love that <3 Not bad for being on a constant line of coke lmfao!
As for the f-word... some of the times I thought he said it, I don't think he did. But other times I totally hear it. At the 4:28 - 4:37 mark it really sounds like he's saying "Oooooh f*ck, I'll f*ck it up on my own, I'll f*ck it up on my own!" And even when you try to hear funk, you hear the f-word more clearly. There's a big difference between the "ck" nose and "nn" noise!
I enjoy naughty Elton. It's definitely not the first time he's said the f-word in songs so it makes this more believable. Elton is rock and roll!

--------------------
user posted image

EltonJohnaholic
  Posted: July 16, 2017 08:04 pm
Quote Post

Newbie (Too Young)

Wow if a piano could sound sexy, Elton just did it tongue.gif I got an eargasm LOL! That isolated piano/vocal track rocks. Especially the chorus... he OWNS all those keys; keeps right on beat the whole time perfectly like a robot. And his raw, rock and roll vocals... love that <3 Not bad for being on a constant line of coke lmfao!
As for the f-word... some of the times I thought he said it, I don't think he did. But other times I totally hear it. At the 4:28 - 4:37 mark it really sounds like he's saying "Oooooh f*ck, I'll f*ck it up on my own, I'll f*ck it up on my own!" And even when you try to hear funk, you hear the f-word more clearly. There's a big difference between the "ck" nose and "nn" noise!
I enjoy naughty Elton. It's definitely not the first time he's said the f-word in songs so it makes this more believable. Elton is rock and roll!

--------------------
user posted image

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll