eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hearing Ej Songs In Odd Places....
commodore orpington
Posted: July 02, 2013 04:27 pm
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Members
Member No.: 1484

A few days ago, in the grocery store, amongst all the more current R&B-ish kinds of songs, what should pop up on whatever station or service this was, but "Goodbye". Recognized it immediately, enjoyed, thought it was an auditory hallucination.....

A few years ago, I was walking late at night in the snow and fairly deep cold, and from a block or two away, someone was blasting "Burn Down The Mission" maybe, "Amoreena" and SNAFF. At least 2 out of those 3. This is a predominantly Black town, with bass-thumping rap being the most popular thing. I thought this was encouraging... especially since they must have had a door or window open in the cold to be heard like that, so... REALLY proud of his/her/their musical tastes!

Years ago when I could still get out to an occasional science fiction convention, I was walking down a corridor, and heard "Teardrops" with KD Lang blasting from someone's room. Had urge to yell out in solidarity, since I love that one, but summoned the smarts not to do that...

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
RegD432
Posted: June 02, 2017 11:00 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1720

I think I've shared this story here before, but the oddest place I've ever heard an Elton song was in a little trinket shop in Baghdad, Iraq.

I was there on a military deployment, and at times we were able to just go out and see the city. I walked into a shop, and at that moment some pop hit was playing. I was browsing, and suddenly "Nobody Slept with Joan of Arc" started to play. I even tried to ask about the song with the shop owner, but he didn't speak English.. however he did pretend to make a pair of glasses with his hands and place them on his face and said "Elton John!"

To this day I have NO IDEA why a B-Side Elton John song would ever be playing in the middle of a Baghdad shop, much less one that deals with Christianity, but ALAS, it happened. I was there!

--------------------
user posted image

"The great thing about rock and roll is that someone like me can be a star." -Elton John
PMEmail Poster
BiteUrLip
Posted: June 03, 2017 06:58 am
Quote Post

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2784

EJ in Iraq? wink.gif OMG! Maybe it was better that you world polices attacked them after all if they now play Elton LOL! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Reach the sea of dreams!
PMEmail PosterMSN
commodore orpington
Posted: August 26, 2017 11:32 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 1484

Unprogrammed radio, I guess... I can see some DJ picking Joan of Arc if he had whatever single it was on, and liked it. That's what radio ought to be...

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
AGR82
Posted: October 21, 2017 05:30 am
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Member No.: 2694

In 2004 (if im right) i was waiting a train...And it started to sound Ive Been Loving You, on the speakers...My first reaction was "Wait, i DO know this song...Yes its Ive Been Loving You!"

(I suppose that someone found Rare Masters CD somewhere and decided to play that song...)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll