eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Nov-dec Concerts, Canada, USA, & Europe
DougS
Posted: October 26, 2017 04:27 am
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Members
Member No.: 26

November & December concerts in small market Canada, USA, plus Europe 2017:

OK, here we are as the last of the 2017 concerts approach and the probable end of the WONDERFUL CRAZY NIGHT tour also approaches...

Latitude, I know that you are going to the Portland concert in November and I am going to the next one in Bangor. Anyone else on this site going to any of the remaining 2017 concerts? Latitude, looking forward to your review. I'll post one as well.

I don't expect any tinkering with the set list so I will be looking forward to the extended version of "Levon" plus my first live experience with "Lookin' Up" and "A Good Heart" assuming that they remain in the set list. Never a huge fan of "Have Mercy on the Criminal." I have come to appreciate it much more and since I have not seen that one since 1980, I am looking forward to hearing it. Much rather hear a solid album track like "Have Mercy on the Criminal" than "Daniel" or "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" for the umpteenth time or even the predictable "I'm Still Standing" which could be and once was a show-stopper...

Doug
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 11, 2017 02:38 pm
Quote Post

MOLINE, IL CONCERT - November 10:

Set list stays the same as recent concerts. The show opened with "The _itch is Back" and not "Funeral For A Friend."

Great review from the local newspaper:

http://www.qconline.com/news/local/elton-b...984a053766.html

No surprises or changes but an impressive delivery.

Doug

PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 12, 2017 08:43 am
Quote Post

EVANSVILLE, IN CONCERT - November 11:

No change to the 22-song set list.

Apparently, Elton stopped twice in "Philadelphia Freedom" and again once later in the concert to have his piano sound fixed. We know how EJ can be when things don't go right, but it appears the sound was fixed and on went the show!

An interesting review from the local Evansville newspaper:

http://www.courierpress.com/story/news/loc...show/856135001/

Enjoy.

Doug
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 13, 2017 05:14 am
Quote Post

Update on Evansville concert on November 11:

EJ did stop "Philadelphia Freedom" a couple of times due to piano sound issues. The song ended up taking over 11 minutes to complete.

Too bad he still isn't comfortable enough when things don't go right to stay positive and maybe even talk to the audience rather than always getting chippy and struggle to keep his sense of humour. We know that he has a wickedly good sense of humour!

I did see him once (1992) when there was a sound problem associated with the band. What he did that night was play "Blue Eyes" solo - a song which was not in the current North American Tour set list. The fans appreciated it.

In Evansville, he could have used the time to show his appreciation or talk of the future - anything but lose his nerve, which he continues to do...

Doug
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 16, 2017 01:05 am
Quote Post

KINGSTON, CANADA CONCERT - November 14:

Looks like EJ, the band, and the crowd had fun in Kingston. Great review from the Kingston Whig Standard newspaper:

http://www.thewhig.com/2017/11/15/sir-elto...es-them-smiling

The set list is included.

Enjoy.

Doug

PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 16, 2017 07:17 am
Quote Post

ST. CATHARINES, CANADA CONCERT - November 15:

Sounds like another really good night for Elton, the band, and the audience. Here is another very good review from the local St. Catharines newspaper:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/11...meridian-centre

The story of the woman who had chemotherapy and how it related to "I'm Still Standing" was touching. All the best to her...

This concert review featured "Levon" again. The critics have been applauding EJ's powerful extended version songs. Hopefully this can be an incentive to do one or two more. This was always the reason I went to EJ shows; in the 80s & 90s it was common to have lots of extended songs including album tracks such as "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters Part 2" which he and the band extended in a great jazzy way.

Set list is listed in the review - no changes. Two more small market shows to go (Portland and Bangor) before a few shows in Europe to close out the year.

Getting excited Latitude?

Doug
PMEmail Poster
Latitude
Posted: November 16, 2017 12:44 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 1633

I am definitely getting excited, Doug!!!!!! Problem with me this week is---I've been sick (a bad cold), which concerned the heck out of me. But I am feeling better now and should be ok tomorrow.

I don't mind that set-list at all. And their shows are SO fiery that everything they do is exciting (except maybe 'Daniel'. lol. Nevertheless, my husband and son love that one).

I'm looking forward to a *lot* of those songs, but I've never heard 'Have Mercy...' live, so can't wait for that one.

I wonder how long these shows are. What do you think? Maybe 2.5 hours?

Oh, I also wanted to say that this is my 17th concert on Nov. 17th in 2017. Interesting.

And how about you---excited? tongue.gif

Thanks very much for those reviews!!!

--------------------
FIVE DECADES OF ELTON JOHN MUSIC AND MY TOP PICKS FROM EACH OF THE DECADES!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Favorite lyric lines:' Release, relax, let go, and hey now let's recover your soul'. From 'The Big Picture' album
Plus 'But latitude captures the heart and the mind' From 'Made In England'
PMEmail Poster
RocketLight
  Posted: November 16, 2017 09:05 pm
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Member No.: 920

Why Elton remove "Sorry" from the set list? LOL

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Latitude
Posted: November 16, 2017 09:13 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (RocketLight @ November 16, 2017 04:05 pm)

I don't know why he did, but thank God for it. I've heard that song a few too many times live. blink.gif

The big surprise is---FFF/LLB aren't in that set-list! huh.gif ohmy.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Favorite lyric lines:' Release, relax, let go, and hey now let's recover your soul'. From 'The Big Picture' album
PMEmail Poster
RocketLight
  Posted: November 18, 2017 08:32 am
Quote Post

Gold Member (Blessed)

Member No.: 920

QUOTE (Latitude @ November 16, 2017 09:13 pm)
QUOTE (RocketLight @ November 16, 2017 04:05 pm)

I don't know why he did, but thank God for it. I've heard that song a few too many times live. blink.gif

The big surprise is---FFF/LLB aren't in that set-list! huh.gif ohmy.gif

I remember in a concert at the Teatro Real, in Madrid 2015, when firstly the show was planned to be a Solo Show and later change for Band Show. Elton said that he never back to play a Solo Show...

I think the main reason that he split Sorry from the set list is because he can not play solo piano songs with the best quality and he needs actually the help of the band...

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 18, 2017 09:03 am
Quote Post

RocketLight:

Davey has said a couple of times recently that Elton hates to practice and rehearse and rarely does it. Playing solo there is no room to be unrehearsed or unprepared and maybe EJ just isn't into putting in the time to pull off a solo show.

Doug
PMEmail Poster
Latitude
Posted: November 18, 2017 01:28 pm
Quote Post

Absolutely FABULOUS show in Portland, Maine!!! biggrin.gif Elton was in a *great* mood. Actually thanked people for buying the tickets. Same set-list. Wicked fiery show! 'Levon' was simply UN-believable. What a jam session! And 'Rocket Man' moved me. Beautiful. 'Have Mercy...' was definitely a treat to hear. He gave a good message before 'I Want Love'. And that song was totally appropriate for these days and people loved it! Also there is a LOT to boogie to in that show. They do a lot of rock. This was my son's first show, and he had a BLAST!!! The show was the shortest Elton John show that we've seen, but was still totally satisfying. He came out at 8:00 and left at 10:10 (or so).

At one point he said 'I like making albums---and I DO like making albums, but I like playing for you guys the most'. I liked the way he said that about making albums. Sounded like he *will* be doing more albums. And, btw, I think that Final Curtain tour will go on for quite awhile, because he does love playing so much that I think he'll do it 'till he's about to drop.

I look forward to your review, Doug.

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 19, 2017 01:32 pm
Quote Post

Latitude:

Great review of the Portland show.

I just found the Portland Press Herald review of Elton's concert. Check it out and tell us what you think!

Check: www.pressherald.com for the Portland review!

I just got back home here in Canada from a 10 hour drove from the Bangor show - sleep is needed!

Doug
PMEmail Poster
Latitude
Posted: November 19, 2017 01:49 pm
Quote Post

THAT is a super review, and he tells it exactly the way it was! He took the words right out of my mouth. This was no 'auto-pilot' show. One of the most dynamic, strong shows that I've seen!

There are videos on YouTube of some of the songs. Love watching them. And there are a couple videos of the Bangor show already. I can tell that it was another grand show.

Ten hour drive???!!! Wow. You definitely NEED sleep. Was it worth it? I bet it was.

Can't wait to read your review.

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: November 20, 2017 12:47 am
Quote Post

BANGOR, MAINE CONCERT - November 18:

Similar set list as previous nights.

Elton was in a fantastic mood and the Bangor crowd was insane from the instant Nigel smacked those drums to start "The _itch is Back" to begin the concert.

Observations:
* Elton and crowd fed off one another all night.
* songs were played with power and enthusiasm.
* Elton faced and played to the crowd all night long
* lots of extra piano parts here & there.
* it was loud. I like loud but it was LOUD (small venue & same volume as per large venue, I think!).
* I was on the floor and we stood the entire night except one song; "A Good Heart"

Song Highlights:
* "Lookin' Up" sounded great and went over well.
* "A Good Heart" may have suffered from the sound a bit; washroom & beer break for people.
* "I Want Love" had thoughtful words from EJ and went over well.
* "Tiny Dancer" sounds superb and is clearly a huge fan favourite.
* "Levon" really rocked and received a thunderous fan ovation.
* "Rocket Man" sounded superb and again a show highlight.
* "Have Mercy on the Criminal" was extraordinarily powerful; big ovation.
* "Your Sister Can't Twist" wasn't well recognized and was the other song to suffer with sound.

The absolute highlights were: "Levon" and "Have Mercy on the Criminal." It was fun to see Elton so energized. His speaking voice was a bit rough but his singing was very good. Latitude; agreed, there was no "auto-pilot" tonight.

The volume seemed a bit too loud and slightly distorted on occasion where I was on the floor but it only seemed to have a negative on a couple of songs. It seems to create a wall of noise for "Your Sister Can't Twist" and "A Good Heart" lost some of its subtle beauty. Otherwise, a totally enjoyable enthusiastic concert. Elton and the band really brought it!

Doug
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll