eltonfan.net   Home  |  News  |  Tour  |  Charts  |  Board  |  Archive  |  Shop  |  Links  |  FAQ  |  Contact  

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> C&tk, Should I give it another listen?
Dr john
Posted: October 09, 2017 04:43 pm
Quote Post

Platinum Member (Dear God)

Group: Members
Member No.: 265

So I've just found C&TK...when it came out I didn't like it and haven't bothered with it since...well I've just found it again after I hopped I'd lost it..I mean thought I'd mislaid it...I know your going to say.."yes, I should give it another listen" but I'm not convinced...I mean hopefully the cd won't play.. laugh.gif

And another thing...next time I go shopping reminded me to get "brown sauce" I keep forgetting..

--------------------
I ENJOY A PINT OF BEER EACH NIGHT...FOR IT'S HEALTH BENEFITS...THE OTHER PINTS ARE FOR MY WITTY COMEBACKS AND FLAWLESS DANCE MOVES
PM
Dr john
Posted: October 09, 2017 09:56 pm
Quote Post

Okay..first of all..forget the sauce I went out specially and bought some...

I've just put C&TK on...and it played..this is what I think of it...I post as every song comes on..

Postcard from Richard Nixon..

Didn't really like this song...it seem to be going somewhere...but it didn't arrive...I normally like Bernie's words...but this just seemed to have too many...shame Elton didn't cut some out...it just seemed to go on and on...

Just like Noah's ark

I liked the way this really started..love the piano playing at the start...my favourite bit of the song..but again, don't think much of it after that...too long again...

Wouldn't have you any other way (NYC)

oh boy, is there anything I like about this song..No...drumming too much in front of everything else..doesn't seem to know what to do with it, song wise...one minute it seems it's trying to be slow and soft...and then in the middle we have Davey and his guitar solo...nar, not for me..

Tinder box

At last a good song...I quite enjoyed it...best so far...

And the house fell down

Another good song...probably my favourite on the album..don't know why they had the laughing at the start...doesn't really need it imo..and I think it takes away the music at the start...as I was listening to that...wether it was to point out how bad Elton was on drugs..but to me it does nothing..
Love the bluesy bit in the middle...

Blues never fade away

I'm trying to stay awake with this song...if it's called "blues never fade away"...why didn't he sing this as a blues song?...and really any song that has Elton saying "hay,hay,hay..in it..well this song faded away for me...

The Bridge

Very nice song...not very often do you get a song with just Elton and his piano..ok, a few background singers as well..I wouldn't mind him doing this as a solo in shows..

I must have lost it on the wind

I don't know what it is with this song...but it's quite catchy...what would you call it "country" I'd guess..and I'm not a big country fan..but I like this..don't mind to much that he's got that stupid sound that's on "Daniel" in middle of it..

Old 67

Nice bluesy song..he should have done something like this for BNFA...

The captain and the kid

This is no CF, nice that he's got that at the start of it...think it's a very wordy song...and maybe it would be better to read the words as it plays..just very country at the end...

So we come to the end of the C.D....have I changed my mind on it...I'd say, yes...okay it's not a patch on CF..which is my all time favourite album..so I guess it had a lot to live up to..and it never got anywhere near...and I think it helped that I didn't read along to the songs and just listened to it as a free standing album and not as a CF part 2...which I have in the past..tried to hear it as a new album of songs and not as a story of there lives...I think there's some good songs on there and quite like the album...if I skip the first two songs and blues...it's a better album than it was about an hour ago..

--------------------
I ENJOY A PINT OF BEER EACH NIGHT...FOR IT'S HEALTH BENEFITS...THE OTHER PINTS ARE FOR MY WITTY COMEBACKS AND FLAWLESS DANCE MOVES
PM
freaksinlove
Posted: October 10, 2017 12:03 am
Quote Post

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7

It's a good album. Not on the same level as CF, obviously.

--------------------
user posted image

Even if I had only one finger left I'd play for you - Elton John
PMEmail Poster
DougS
Posted: October 10, 2017 12:12 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 26

CAPTAIN AND THE KID:

Dr John, I too am very mixed on this album.

I was really excited prior to its release because CAPTAIN FANTASTIC AND THE BROWN DIRT COWBOY is my favourite EJ & BT album and with CAPTAIN AND THE KID being the "follow-up" to it I couldn't wait. Overall, it was somewhat below expectations.

I have always felt that it is better lyrically than musically. A song like "Blues Never Fade Away" effectively managed to capture several tragedies experienced by Elton since 1975 into one song. This prevented CAPTAIN AND THE KID having one song about Gianni Versace, one for John Lennon, one for Princess Diana, one for AIDS victims, one for...

I also love "And The House Fell Down" and also feel that "Wouldn't Have You Any Other Way" was all over the place and lacked a consistent melody. "Just Like Noah's Ark" starts well and ends well but goes nowhere for the bulk of the song - very leaden to me.

I listen to only 3 or 4 songs from this record. I always try to revisit albums to see how my opinions change over time. So far this record has not grown on me; I still really like a couple of songs and enjoy a few others.

Doug
PMEmail Poster
BiteUrLip
Posted: October 10, 2017 12:42 am
Quote Post

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2784

If you're giving it a second listen Doc (you did already?), all I can say is that it definitely would grow on you - not to be your favorite album, but definitely better than on your first listen.

I can say this because the music always grows on me after first listen. It depends that how much will it grow, of course.

--------------------
Reach the sea of dreams!
PMEmail PosterMSN
Rocket Man
Posted: October 10, 2017 06:22 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 399

It's not comparable to Captain Fantastic, which is ten times better! The problem is that they gave it a title which evokes the 1975 album to any Elton fan, whereas it's just not possible to match it. The Captain And The Kid needs to be listened to without thinking of Captain Fantastic, and then you can enjoy some of the compositions. But it sure ain't no Captain Fantastic bis!!

--------------------
Vivrem come cavalli Liberi dai recinti di ferro Che piu non voglio Rinnegare i sensi Su dai fuggiam Vivrem come cavalli
Someday We'll live like horses Free reign from your old iron fences There's more ways than one to regain your senses Break out the stalls and we'll live like horses
PMEmail Poster
nix
Posted: October 10, 2017 07:31 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 46

Don't listen to it! Oh... too late... sorry. I should warn you earlier, so I didn't have to read this annoying review of great album tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
Dr john
Posted: October 10, 2017 09:17 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (nix @ October 10, 2017 08:31 am)
Don't listen to it! Oh... too late... sorry. I should warn you earlier, so I didn't have to read this annoying review of great album  tongue.gif

Sorry, you had to read the reviews on this so-so album...never mind, go and take your pill and have a lie down..you'll feel better in a bit..

I don't like moaning at you lot...but why didn't you tell me the sauce I picked up last night..is Red sauce...I mean wtf..

--------------------
PM
commodore orpington
Posted: October 13, 2017 03:50 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 1484

You always need to listen a 2nd time, at least. Many of my favorite albums seemed like nothing the first time, then it all clicked the 2nd time. Still others too a LOT longer.

I listened to C&K many many times. It's solidly competent and listenable, but nothing stands out in an overwhelming way. The middle 3 songs seem the most popular but I'm the opposite-- I like the first two, then everything from The Bridge on to the end. It's more listenable to me than CF. This was a hard period for me, after having gotten my hopes up so high after SFTWC.

--------------------
"Opportunity awaits me, like a rat in a drain."
PMEmail Poster
rocketman
Posted: October 13, 2017 03:51 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 108

It's a spotty album for me. The sound bothers me - aside from Peachtree, this is the worst production on an Elton album. They went for a 'live' sound (they recorded Old '67 live in studio) but I just don't really like it a lot.

The songs are another matter, mostly pretty good, a couple (Tinderbox, House Fell Down) approaching excellence. I like Side One better, but 'Heard It On The Wind' has grown on me, The Bridge is pretty poignant, and the closer is good.

Lyrically, it's a very good effort by Bernie. It's one of the best albums he's done.

--------------------
"I could be great like Tennessee Williams if I could only hear something that sounds like the truth."

PMEmail PosterYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll